The Successful Leader at American Income Life
Sometimes we choose to lead and in other circumstances we have a leadership opportunity before we are confident of our abilities. Whether you want to lead or are selected, how you demonstrate your leadership will determine how successful you will be and how successful those who follow you will become.
Successful leadership is a demonstration of a true example. We lead by the example we set. If you expound on virtues or techniques that you do not follow or demonstrate yourself, those who follow your leadership will fail and then wonder why. This can reflect badly on you as the leader. Teach and live what you teach to be the type of leader who will stand the test of time.
So how are great leaders made? Consider these tried and true principles of leadership as demonstrated by leaders worldwide.
- Leaders Learn. They understand that the moment they become un-teachable, they lose their edge.
- Leaders Listen. They understand the difference between passively hearing and actively listening to what people are telling them.
- Leaders Develop Discipline. Discipline becomes the cornerstone of a good leader’s life. Not just in business, but in everything he or she does.
- Leaders Take time to be quiet: Successful leaders are busy with little extra time in their schedules. However, the most successful leaders take 15-30 minutes every day to be absolutely silent. When silent they can hear themselves think and feel in this way they develop their intuition, which guides them with all their decisions.
- Leaders are Compassionate. They know that kindness trumps bad behavior and that softly spoken words are heard with understanding, while yelling at peak volume simple becomes a battle of wills. In short leaders care.
- Leaders don’t wait for other people to do it for them. Nothing stands in the way to accomplishing their goals, certainly not excuses. They are action people who understand the value of delegating.
- Leaders are Persistent. They work doggedly to accomplish their goal no matter how long it takes. They know it separates them from those who would have and those
who could have but didn’t.
- A leader keeps their eye on the end result and always maintains a positive outlook, regardless of current circumstances. They think in terms of solutions rather than problems. Leaders understand that they are in command and have ownership for results.
- Great Leaders have a variety of personalities and styles. You should not strive to become a copy of someone else. Individuality is important to leadership. While strong principles are important to the integrity of leadership, so is the leaders unique vision.
This quote from legendary football coach Vince Lombardi says it all….
“Leaders aren’t born they are made and they are made just like anything else through hard work. That is the price you will have to pay to achieve your goal.”
As a leader or agent at American Income Life, please share in the comments how many of these principles you or your manager follow?
- The Journey to American Income Life Leadership Academy 301
- Characteristics Of the Top Leader
- Teaching Others How To Be Great Through Great American Income Life Leadership Skills
- What Does It Take To Become A Great American Income Life Leader?
- How Are You Running Your American Income Life Office – As A Leader Or As A Manager?
- American Income Life Welcomes You Back to Leadership Academy